My iPad is a bit of a mess right now. Too many apps are in need of a folder for some kind of organization. As I began that process today, I noticed that I have an abundance of apps that were designed for creative purposes. I wasn’t surprised that I had all these apps, (they are absolutely my favorite type of apps), but I was surprised at how many new ones I have added this year. So, I thought I would take some time to share the ones that mean the most to me and to group them in some kind of order that might make sense on my home screen.
Feel free to add your own suggestions to the comments at the end because you can never have too many creative apps! These are not the only creative apps on my iPad, (that would be a very long list), but it is a good chunk of them. (Note: this post contains iTunes affiliate links).
Creative Video Apps
- iMovie – Apple’s video editor keeps improving and gets better every year.
- Green Screen by DoInk – Quite possibly one of my favorite apps ever. Love it.
- Animation & Drawing by DoInk – Draw and animate your very own movie
- TouchCast Studio & TouchCast Ext Cam – If you’ve never used it before, just try it.
- MovieDrops for iMovie – perfect companion app for green screen video backgrounds
- IntroMate Intro Maker for iMovie – Create awesome video intros quickly and easily
- Hyperlapse – a time-lapse movie maker and video stabilization app
- iMotion HD – perfect for easy stop motion movies, or the odd time-lapse movie
- Splice – a free video editor that is as good as, or better than, iMovie.
- Quik – the quickest and easiest app for making photo slideshows, bar none!
- IPEVO Whiteboard – Screencast and annotate over live video for free!
- ExplainEverything – Arguably one of the best iPad apps for education.
- Adobe Spark Video – An amazing, free digital storytelling video app from Adobe.
- ChatterPix Kids – Endless fun for young and old. Few apps are easier to learn.
Creative Photo Apps
- Pic Collage Kids – a safe, fun, collage app that is very versatile
- Annotate – Handy editing tools like crop, draw, arrows, text, emoji and blur
- Photoshop Lightroom – the mobile version of Adobe’s Lightroom editor
- Photoshop Mix – cut out, combine & blend pictures to create multilayered images
- Photoshop Express – fast, powerful, and advanced editing now with collages
- Pixelmator – a powerful, full-featured, layer-based image editor
- Superimpose – create superimposed or juxtaposed photos on your iPad
- Snapseed – a complete and professional photo editor developed by Google
Creative Graphic Design Apps
- Canva – One of the easiest and most stylish design apps available.
- Adobe Spark Post -a great design app that is as good, (or better?) than, Canva.
- Desynger – Another template based app in the same vein as Canva and Spark Post.
- Word Swag – This app has lots of imitators, but none are as good as the original.
- Studio Design – A social design app that lets you browse & remix designs from others
- Assembly – Create icons, logos and scenes using a building block approach to design.
Creative Audio Apps
- Opinion Podcast – The barrier to podcasting has never been lower. Try this app today!
- Bossjock Jr & Bossjock – create and publish rich audio productions on your iPad
- Voice Record Pro 7 – Record audio, edit it, and even upload it to share on YouTube.
- Ferrite Recording Studio – a full featured multi-track audio editor for the iPad. Wow!
- Soundtrap – the multi-platform, cloud based audio editor has a very decent iOS app.
- DropVox – Records audio and automatically uploads it to Dropbox
- Audionote – Syncs audio with typed notes so you can hear what was said at any time
Creative Digital Storytelling Apps
- Adobe Spark Page – A well-designed multimedia storytelling tool from Adobe
- Book Creator – Not all apps are worth paying for. This one is. Just buy it.
- Sway – Similar to Adobe Spark Page. A great app for stories or presentations
- Toontastic – Create and animate your own cartoon adventure for free
- Shadow Puppet EDU – make videos to tell stories, explain ideas, & document learning
- Telestory – An awesome, free augmented reality video storytelling app
- Our Story for iPad – a great introduction to digital storytelling for younger students
- Puppet Pals – Create simple animated stories with puppets and even yourself!
- ComicBook! – a comic book creator with lots of options for customization
- Sock Puppets – Create your own lip synched puppet videos with props & backgrounds
Creative Sketching Apps
- Adobe Draw – A very well done vector drawing app with layers and lots of pen tools
- Masterpiece for Osmo – Use Osmo to record a sto-mo video of you tracing an image
- Paper 53 – It’s hard not to love this simple, yet powerful, drawing app. Lots to like.
- Tayasui Sketches – Similar to Adobe Draw. Multiple tools, layers and more
- Sketchbook Express – Tools and brushes to create doodles, quick sketches or artwork