I recently attended an Apple workshop on using Apple Configurator and managing a Volume Purchase Program in schools. I am doing both already, but I i picked up a few useful tips. Participants were also sent some links to Apple resources on both Configurator and the VPP, and I don’t think that some of them are all that well known, so I am listing those below for anyone that might be interested.
- The iOS 5 Education Deployment Guide – PDF guide
- Education IT Resources – iOS Devices on the left
- Video of the Personal Deployment Model
- Video of the Layered Ownership Model
- Video of the Institutional Deployment Model
- Register for a live VPP Webinar
- An Overview of the VPP
- VPP Program Manager Enrollment
- The Program Facilitator Redemption and Purchasing Site
- Apple Configurator Support Page
- Apple Configurator Help Guide
- Download link for Apple Configurator
- How to Set Up Apple ID Accounts
- Coordinating iOS Device names with labels or slots in carts/racks
- Backing up and Restoring data in Apple Configurator
- Configuring AirPlay Settings on Apple TVs
- Installing an Apple TV Configuration Policy with Apple Configurator
Another useful thing I found recently was the US phone number for the Apple Enterprise team, who have been very helpful answering questions I had on problems with Apple Configurator. You can call them on 1-866-752-7753. I can’t say enough good things about the people I have dealt with in that team, so I am sure they could be a great resource too.
I realize that these may be a little technical for some people, but please forward them to your IT team to let them take a look at all that Apple has to support educators in the classroom with iOS devices.