I’ve spent a few days playing with a great new addition to the Google Drive iPad app – comments! They can be used to share ideas with other collaborators or as a way of grading student work. So, if you haven’t had time to try them out yet, here’s how they work.
- To insert a comment, tap in the document to leave a general comment, or select the specific words that you want the comment to be linked to by pressing and holding to select text.
- Next tap the comment button next to the title of the document at the top of your screen, or select “Comment” from the pop-up box above selected text.
- A comment box will appear in the top right hand corner, where you can type in your comment.
- This comment will now be visible to others who share the document (such as your collaborators or the student who turned in the assignment) although the comment(s) will not display when the document is printed.
- Collaborators (students, you, etc.) can reply to any comment by typing in the box labeled “Reply to this comment…”
- You can also tap the pencil to “Edit” your existing comment, or to “Delete” it.
- Finally you can tap “Resolve” to close the comment from further replies.
Are you using Google Drive on your Android phone or tablet? If so, you’ll be glad to know that comments work there too and you should be able to follow the instructions above to get them to work almost exactly the same way on those devices.